Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Six of the Best - Sessions 1 & 2

 Undercoating & Base Colours

I have decided to treat this project Random Christmas Project a.k.a. Six of the Best a bit differently in that, I will post as I go along instead of a summary at the end and also I will keep track of how long it actually takes. I usually get to the end of painting a figure  but without any real idea how long I have spent. I was particularly interested to know how much longer I had spent of the halfling ranger captain (my entry to the Golden Gobbo) compared to the other halfling rangers. So this time I will keep a record. 



Session 1 - Prep & Undercoating

Ready for Undercoating

First decision before getting onto the painting was to build the figure and then paint it or paint it (mostly) on the sprue before building it. While  the skeletal design meant there could be parts difficult to paint once assembled, I am not really familiar with the figure so it will be more difficult to visualise the finished model whilst still on the sprue. Obviously, there will also be some attachment points to tidy up after removing from the sprue if left on during painting.  However, a childhood of making model aeroplanes etc. decided it. The Necron would stay on the sprue until I am at least done painting the main parts of the model.

I did, however, remove some of the attachment points to minimise this bit of work later. So next step on to the grey primer.

Session 2 - Starting the Base Colours

First go at the base colours

First point, I  have decided that I will use all the six colours (without any black or white) at least once on the model.  Second point, I now realise as I start painting, all of my colours are either bright (blue and red) or light (grey, cream [deck tan] and shining gold) which hardly fit the grim dark universe of WH40K.  I have decided not to go down the metallic colouring scheme, as a bright gold Necron doesn't really appeal. 

As I didn't (don't) really have a finished design in mind, I settled on one feature - the skeletal frame of the Necron. I wanted the skeletal bits to be a darker colour, so used the light grey mixed with black to get a mid-grey. Now the problem with mixing colours is that if you have to use them more than once, then you have to try and recreate the same colour. I used to have lots of problems with this in the past with units of all slightly different shades of the 'same' colour.  Which has led me to buy colours when I need to be consistent. Still rules are rules, so I don't really have any other choice but mixing on this occasion.

I haven't used Tamiya paints before and didn't really pay much attention when I bought this one. But as soon as I opened I realised it wasn't your normal acrylic paint. It has a strong solvent whiff. So I stopped and read the label, it is both flammable and an irritant. So I will treating this one with a bit more care than normal. 

After the mid-grey, the cream on the weapon and the blue armour plates seemed pretty obvious. I know I will have to make washes for these colours and also do touch ups. But overall I quite pleased with the start. He looks a bit more 'bright' future cyberpunk but could come in handy for a few games of Stargrave or Five Parsecs from Home. 

Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dori's Last Stand

The Dwarves Take A Beating So, this version of the scenario offers a choice on which extra dwarves to take, with a total of five now availab...