Friday, February 18, 2022

Sixteen Years Later Mordred Returns

 Salute 2006 Mordred Painted

Probably one of the longest periods of time to complete one of my duels. I am pleased how they both came out and once again Mark Copplestone's figures paint up well.  


'Come, Father. Let us embrace at last.'

Mordred - Excalibur (1981) 



Mordred played by Robert Addie in the 1981 Excalibur movie, one my favourite early fantasy films (Remember Lord of the Rings is over twenty years away at this point). Incidentally it was directed by John Boorman who wanted to film Lord of the Rings but couldn't get the rights so filmed this instead. Thanks John, a childhood gem. 

I think there is an obvious bit of influence from the film with Mordred's helm on the Salute figure.  

Robert Addie, also played my favourite TV baddie of the eighties - Guy of Gisborne in Robin of Sherwood. He wasn't most dangerous baddie in Robin of Sherwood but he had persistence and could sulk. 

What? He got away again!

The finished shield design. 

I decided the shield was a bit to close to a Union Jack design.
So had to be changed. 


Bruce will stomp anyone. 

The Classic Pose


The Woods - Building a Warband


A Leprechaun Warband for the Woods?

While I get the hang of playing the Woods and deciding what warbands to use, I have decided to mainly use my existing figures. This will give me time to learn the different parts of the rules  and try different force combinations. I did get lucky when I realised I still had one owl left over from Dryads. As they proved handy in the first game.

Rob 


6 comments:

  1. Great! A blast from the past: for me too (R) "Excalibur" was one of the films of my childhood that led me to fantasy ... I plan to watch it soon with D (although unfortunately not in the old videotape I still own). The miniature sculpture is fascinating for body pose, and your painting work exalted it: we like the palette you chose for Mordred. The shield is also successful, although we would not have minded the irony of a Union Jack in the Arthurian era ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the colour scheme on the shield wasn't intentional, But once I realised it, it had to go!

      Delete
  2. Mordred looks particularly well-suited to be fending off Bruce's big stomp! :D Lovely work on this pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, funny I often find these figures have to sit on the paint bench for a few months before I get to grips with them. But then I finish them really quickly once I can start them.

      Delete
  3. Yeah... Excalibur. What a film. I think almost every mini of Mordred I can think of was influenced by Addie's Romanesque armour. As for ROS..... that series had a massive influence on me. Such a tragedy Mr. Addie died so young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big fan of the Michael Praed era, wasn't as keen on Jason Connery. Agreed about Robert Addie.

    ReplyDelete

Escape From Goblin Town (Take 2) - Battle 1

Here We Go Again Replayed the first game again with my scenario changes, which in this game was an extra walkway. I dislike scenarios where ...