Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Beachhead 2022 - Star Wars, Titans and Winter Raids

A Grand Day Out Beside the Seaside

It was the first time I have been to the Beachhead show and I enjoyed it. It certainly isn't anything big like Salute. In fact it fitted inside one medium size sports hall but had a great selection of traders and a nice selection of display and participation games. The tournament hall was full all day but there was still a fair amount of people buzzing around the show hall without feeling crowded. 

It is relatively close to me (Bournemouth) and I will go back again.  As well as playing the Woods there were a number of other participation games. I managed to miss a fun looking game based on Aliens and I didn't even get a picture! There many other great looking games but I didn't manage to photography everything. 

This Star Wars games caught my eye, always got a bit of a soft spot for snow speeders (or is that forest speeders in this setting) versus AT-ATs. 






One of the other impressive displays was a whole horde of WH40K sized titans battling it out. Looked like part of the Horus Heresy. I counted over forty titans all of which were well painted. I don't like to think how much this lot cost. 




At the other end of the spectrum was this winter Dark Ages raid. Which I rather liked. The scenery was just great. 




Also an interesting looking American Civil War battle, this is not an era that I generally have much interest in (aside from a collection of Britain's figures from my childhood when it was the greys versus the blues) but this looked great. 



The weather was pretty filthy all day but we didn't need to go outside so it was fine for us. 


Some of the spoils of the day, I got a number of nice show bargains which always is welcome. Had some very interesting and useful discussions about paints with Mark from M&C Model Painting who was at the show  with a very large paint shop. Ended up picking a number of different brands to try at good prices. So will keep you all posted. 

Some of the swag

I settled on a the Wizened Witches set for Mr Pratchett's witches - Granny & Nanny from Bad Squiddo. Two of the witches in the set bear a striking resemblance to the vision of them in my head for these characters. Still need to get Magrat though.  

Rob 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I missed the Dark Age board, that looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did look impressive, unfortunately I ran out of time to talk to the people running it. I would have liked to get some of the background.

    ReplyDelete

Nearly all the Goblins

Escape from Goblin Town Campaign Mk. 2 I have played through the campaign once and the dwarves got beaten in four of the five scenarios. Wit...