Monday, May 23, 2022

ME-72 Dead Men of Dunharrow

 Its Time to Get Technical 

My classic Dead Men of Dunharrow arrived today and they pushed their way immediately to the front of the painting queue. This is one of those sets, I have been after for a while and never seemed to get one at the right price until last week. I was reminded to start looking again after reading Goblin Lee's post (Goblin Lee's Dead Men of Dunharrow Horsemen. It also got me thinking about colour schemes after I won the auction. 

So rather than go down the zombie route, I decided to go for a more ethereal look. Plus I wanted to give the Hexwraith Flame technical paint another go. I have only it used a couple of times and have not really been impressed by the outcome. 

So they ended up with a very quick (but pleasing) paint job with Hexwraith Flame for the non-metallic parts, Agrax Earthshade on the metallics. With other Citadel shades applied directly over the Hexwraith flame to add contrast on items like the hair and cloth. Once dry, I lightly dry brushed  from the top down with an off-white.  The shabby (and patchy) buff colour which was already on the miniatures provided a very good undercoat. 

Stage 0 - As they arrived

Stage 1 - Washes and shading

Stage 1 - Armour detail

Stage 2 - Lightly dry brushed with off white

Since it was an evening to use paints I haven't used much recently, I used Stirland mud on the bases (instead of my usual coarse sand and Agrax Earthshade. Obviously I couldn't finish the bases tonight but I probably will want to add a second coat of Stirland mud as I don't usually find one coat has enough definition. 

The Dead men along side a classic Barrow wight

The Barrow wight is painted using the Citadel instructions for Dead men of Dunharrow from the films!

In fact I really liked the end result and so might have to get some more Dead men to paint up. Finally learning to like these technical paints. 

Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Game 5 - The Wizard and the Burglar

Gandalf Stuck In the Corner Another scenario that GW seems to have written in special rules order to make it completely unplayable. Once aga...