Sunday, January 24, 2021

Building Chaos Dwarf Swivel Guns

 

Building Chaos Dwarf Swivel Guns

The Artificer Swivel Gun battery

Having picked up a couple of chaos dwarf gunners, I decided that I would have a go and make the swivel gun. Having decided to make one swivel gun as a side project.   it seemed a good idea make up a small battery (in this case three).  I could then add some more gunners at a later stage.

After a bit of searching in the loft I found WD108 and rules for the swivel guns. Rules presented below.




I prefer to integrate the gun and the crew into a larger base but being able to remove the dwarves when casualties occur. This gives a bit space to give the base a bit of character.

Mock Up

So, step one make the base and start the gun. I had ago at making one gun first to get the design right. If I were doing these again, I would have made them a bit smaller.


After deciding to make three guns I decides I would need a few more crews and a unit leader. Prices for old chaos dwarves are generally a bit crazy but Ral Partha do some very nice chaos dwarves which fit in very well with the size and style of the old Citadel Chaos dwarves. I’m not a big fan of plain bases and I am going for a chaos wasteland vibe with strange stalagmites, toadstool patches and toxic pools. I edged the bases with card to give a neater finish and allow the bases to be sprayed. 

Halfling Conversion to Chaos Dwarf

I was still one short one crew member for swivel gun teams and decided to repurpose one of the halflings I got for Christmas. The spikes on the helmet/shoulder pads are cut down nail points and a little bit of Green Stuff to create a beard /shoes. I was able to create the beard using the end of a cocktail stick. More tools maybe required if I want to do more this sort of conversion. He is bit less stocky than the other chaos dwarves but overall, I am pleased with the effect.

After the Citadel Technical paint is applied

I have just started using some of Citadel’s technical paints and got Nihilakh Oxide (also a Christmas present) gives a very effective Verdigris (bronze corrosion) effect over the top of Warplock Bronze. I have decided to go for corroded / rusted look for the dwarves which represents them working in very toxic environments to make these machineries of destruction.

Two of the finished swivel guns and crews.

The Dark Artificer –Mir Helmdarkson and the beginning of his artillery brigade.

A mixture of old citadel (chaos dwarf and AD&D Duergar - middle front), plus Ral Partha and my converted figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not A Goblin

No Really - Actually It's Dragon Newt After painting up the goblin horde it was time for something different. The fantastic Dragon Newt ...