Friday, March 24, 2023

That's Not a Castle

 This is a Castle!

I have been working in Spain over the last few weeks and took the opportunity to visit a couple of the local castles - Peñaranda de Duero &  Buitrago del Lozoya. Both in good condition and in a very distinctive local style. While no immediate plans to jump to wargames set in Spain they did  make me think about different styles and designs. And I did find a couple of interesting wargaming inspiration pieces on the history of these places. 

Castle of Buitrago del Lozoya

The Castle of Buitrago del Lozoya is a castle is inside the walls of the walled town of  Buitrago del Lozoya. Built in the 15th century. 






Castle of Peñaranda de Duero


Situated on top of a sizable hill it commands whole of the valley below. It was definitely a brisk walk up to the top. First built in the the 11th century and updated in the 15th century. 

The castle is a narrow walled area, with a four story keep rising from the centre. Obviously under going some renovation work. It very much reminded me of some of the sites used by Game of Thrones and I believe some of the scenes were shot in one of the surrounding region. 

I was too late to go into the castle but if I am in the area again it would well worth a another try. 






Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nearly all the Goblins

Escape from Goblin Town Campaign Mk. 2 I have played through the campaign once and the dwarves got beaten in four of the five scenarios. Wit...