Saturday, September 3, 2022

The Rings of Power - Two Episodes In

The Elephant in the Room 

Like many people by now, I have watched the first two episodes of the Rings of Power last night.  I think it was a cautious start. They got a number of story arcs started and tried to set the scene for the casual watcher. It looked gorgeous and the money spent can be seen on screen. Especially as it wasn’t splashed on a couple big name stars.  Lenny Henry was probably the most well-known face amongst the cast on this side of the pond. 

 

From a design point of view, they echoed most of the same design themes as the films. So, they didn’t look jarring different.  However, the differences were there in the costumes and armour. I particularly liked the look of the dwarves and I suspect the watchtower will appear on a few gaming tables.  



I never quite got the whole design ethos for dwarves in the films, no curves. I think they would need function as much as form. So sometimes a curve is the best shape! And dwarves are supposed to be practical. 


Too be fair it was never going to be a tough sell to me, and I am looking forward to seeing more of this series. But I doubt it has yet convinced the doubters that it was worth the time or the money.  

Anyway now back to the ruffians who are looking to cause mischief in the Shire. 

Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Game 5 - The Wizard and the Burglar

Gandalf Stuck In the Corner Another scenario that GW seems to have written in special rules order to make it completely unplayable. Once aga...