Thursday, July 21, 2022

Nori the Dwarf

Not Exactly Flying Along


It's taken me six months to get round and finish the next one of the Thorin's dwarves. My original plan was to paint one a month ( The Company of Thorin Oakenshield ). However, a year later and I have only managed four. 


Nori & Ori have fallen into my cunning plan to finish off stuff that has been hanging around the paint bench for months (re. start of the year). These two were bit less obvious than other figures such as Bloody Handed Annie because they had a lot less paint on them. But once I finished a few of the hangers on, they moved up the queue. 


To be honest I just haven't really enjoyed painting these miniatures as much as I was expecting.  This has got me wondering why? Is a technical problem or a subject matter problem? 

On the technical side they  because they area bit smaller (but they are not really any smaller than the metal LofR figures, Gimli shown below), and it seems a bit odd to say but they seem have very shallow levels of detail which doesn't suit my  wash and highlight painting style. So these don't just paint as well other figures for me. 


Also, I deliberately picked figures which weren't key characters from the film to start on. But this has also probably has contributed to lack of enthusiasm. I am now working on Ori which is without doubt the worst character in The Hobbit (Peter Jackson seems to love a unfunny comedy dwarf and only just managed to hold it together with Lord of the Rings). So once I can get over that hump, I am on to more interesting characters. 

This does probably sound a bit negative for a hobby I enjoy but am still enjoying painting them. Just not as much some other figures and it seems to be taking a long time.  So in order to try and make a bit more progress, I will try and paint the remainder in linked groups of two or three such as Fili and Kili. 




Still the journey goes ever onwards...

Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not A Goblin

No Really - Actually It's Dragon Newt After painting up the goblin horde it was time for something different. The fantastic Dragon Newt ...