Thursday, October 27, 2022

12 Props in 12 Hours

 The Challenge

Every now and again, I like to undertake a few different projects. So, a little while I undertook a challenge to make twelve props from TV and film in twelve hours.  So, they had to be relatively small, or the time would just run out. The twelve hours only included the build time, any time spent researching props etc. was additional to this time.  

So, part of the challenge was to find visually appealing props that could be built / made in the time. And the only way to know how long something would take was to make it. Was a prop was started, I decided couldn't drop it from the twelve. But I could change the any props I was planning before I started. 

Prop 1 - Behind You Sign (Watchmen) 

A nice easy prop to start with and an opportunity bank a bit extra time for more challenging builds later in the challenge. So, this was the note left by Rorschach in the fridge for Moloch to find. Shortly before bundling him into said fridge. 

Rorschach's note


Prop 1- 22 minutes

Prop 2 - Slug Eating Flesh Repellent (Harry Potter & Chamber of Secrets) 

Now I don't think this prop is ever actually shown on screen but is mentioned several times during the film. Anyway, I wanted to have a go at a potion bottle. Since I had picked up a vintage bottle at a car boot a few years earlier. I then had a root around the bits box and came up with a Flame elemental?  from a D&D boardgame? which I thought would make a good stopper. 

Hagrid on the way to collect the potion. 


Prop 2 - 83 minutes


Prop 3 - Copper Bones (The Goonies)


This is probably my favourite prop from the challenge. Not because of the film but because of the way the final model turned out.  I was really pleased with the final result. With props two and three taking way over the 60 minutes, I had to rein in the next couple of props to get be back under my time limit. 



Prop 3 - 89 minutes

Prop 4 - Batrang (The Dark Knight) 


Now on the face of this design, this should have been a quick prop to build but I had to have two goes at cutting out this prop. So, it still used up 48 minutes.  



Prop 4 - 48 minutes

Prop 5 - Psi Corp Badge (Babylon 5) 


I had to make at least one prop from one of my favourite TV shows and the Psi-corp badge is one of those distinctive designs. Probably went a bit mad with the distressing and the gluing but something to tidy up later, time permitting. 

Alfred Bester - Psi Corp 




Prop 5 - 52 minutes

Prop 6 - Harry's Entry Slip (Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire) 


So, as I approached the halfway mark, another quick prop was needed. As the last couple of props had used a bit more time that I was planning to use on some bigger props towards the end.  Plus, the kids loved the books and the films, so this is an easy choice and the film series has so many great little props. 



Prop 6 - 28 minutes

Summary 


So halfway through the challenge and five hours and 22 minutes used out of a potential of six hours. But with a couple of longer projects planned for the second half. So, all that spare time would be needed.  

Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Game 5 - The Wizard and the Burglar

Gandalf Stuck In the Corner Another scenario that GW seems to have written in special rules order to make it completely unplayable. Once aga...