Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Not Really Sure Why?

 Eighties Goblins

My latest order from a popular auction site arrived yesterday, a group of Goblins described as 'C12 Great Goblins, Games Workshop 1983'.

Spot the odd one out?



When I bought them I didn't think the description was quite right against the pictures but it was a last minute buy and I was happy with the figures. It was the one on the left that didn't quite fit. The sculpt didn't quite look right for an early eighties design. But I didn't bother to look them up on Stuff of Legends  until they arrived.

Thanks Stuff of Legends



As I suspected, the one on the left is actually slotta base figure. The slotta base is still clearly visible but they did go to the trouble of adding a lead base. Which seems a lot of effort to go to on a perfectly good miniature. He is listed as either Perry twins or Kev Adams so a pretty good pedigree. It is still mid eighties so I am not sure what the point of adding a base because they sold for a modest price. I suppose it could be that the owner didn’t like slotta bases. 

Why?


Anyway got them for a price I'm happy with and they are great figures. So it doesn't bother me, I'm just curious as to why! Anyway on to painting. 


Rob 

2 comments:

  1. Slotta tabs weren’t universally popular. One mate’s older brother used to make square lead bases for his. Seeing as your one is round, it could be the original owner was a role player looking to match the figure in with his existing collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right. It seems to be a choice to change it from a slotta base to a solid one.

    ReplyDelete

Goblin Town Battle 4 - Guard the Crossing

The Dwarves Finally Win One! So, finally a scenario which generated a bit tension with Thorin & Co. only just holding on to take the win...