Sunday, January 15, 2023

Beginner's Luck

 Fun & Games with Airbrushes

On very relaxed Sunday afternoon, I managed to break out the paints and settle in for nice long painting session. I also, set up airbrush for a second go. And to use a very well known footballing phrase it was very much a game of two halves. 

The first session was used to zenithal highlight Sauron the Necromancer and in the main it went very well. So, I had a second batch of figures already black undercoated. Ready for a repeat performance. However, I couldn't get paint mix right and the paint ran all over the figures. Now I did use the cheap white paint included in the set but with some decent thinner (Vallejo) but I think I over thinned it. Now I do think I will need to buy some good airbrush white and have seen a couple of recommendations on Youtube videos. 

I then changed colours and had much more success with the light brown which went on smoothly.  Now this was with a quality paint with was a bit thicker and I didn't use as much thinner. So, this probably helped. And since this went well I finished off with a green zenithal on some other stuff which also looked ok. 

The green around the base of the Griffon was
a mistake but looks rather good. 

The attempt to beat my previous personal best of five wood elves continues with another batch of four. Overall I am much happier with the skin tones. With was helped by using the two very pale skin tones in the right order. I have now labelled them to avoid that mistake again. 

The speckled bases were because I had attempted to
zenithal highlight them with a spray can and it did not go well. 

How many Bilbos?


With only Bilbo left in the company of Thorin Oakenshield to paint, I thought it would be a good time to break open the other Bilbo figure. This time from Lord of the Rings. It picked this one up last year for a fiver which I thought was bargain. I have now heard that they have finally retired this figure after twenty  years. So, it looks like I got this one in time. 

Now given the packaging is from the first film, I reckon this one is fifteen to twenty years old. So, I as opened the blister, I was reminded how long it was since I last bought a new Citadel blister. Which was also probably fifteen to twenty years ago. 


I also have the Bilbo figure for the 80's ME-34 Hobbits of the Shire set. Which I am painting at the moment so I might as well paint him as well. 

Rob

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the airbrush: these appear useful tips for when an airbrush arrives on our workbench.
    The new group of elves makes it more and more promising what the whole unit will look like.
    Who is the white painted orc in the first picture?

    ReplyDelete

Ral Partha Cloud Giant

One More Ticked Off the Oldhammer Bucket List My Ral Partha Cloud giant arrived today from Ral Partha Legacy (via Miniature Heroes ) . He h...