Saturday, December 24, 2022

Slann Army Ideas

New Army for 2023?

The four Warrior Clans

My first finished Warhammer army was a Slann army. What I loved was the wide variety of units and the Aztec inspired warriors. And since getting back into Oldhammer, I have thought how I could build a Slann army again. But at £10-£20 per figure there is no way I would be able to build an army even if the miniatures were available. Now for the non-Slann units there are plenty of alternatives available (at reasonable prices)  and technically you don't need that many Slann, there is only a 11 model (1 x 10 warriors plus hero) minimum requirement in the army list.  

Coatl - Not technically part of a Slann army.
But definitely fits the theme. 

But my Slann army, funnily enough had plenty of Slann forming the core of the army with the warrior clans  sitting at the centre. So, I need a way of filling up the majority of the force. With the release of sets like the plastic Aztec set  from Wargames Atlantic and Snakemen set from Ghost Archipelago plus the Tenoch range from  Little Soldier company has started me thinking about how I could build a Slann army (or at least a warband) again. So If I can get enough Slann for the core units then the auxiliary units would be relatively easy to fill.  

The Army banner

War altar and +4 Shock Elite Warrior Priests

While in not WFB 3rd Ed. a Slann mage riding a big dinosaur would make a great centrepiece. 

Like many wargamers, my original army  got sold, in part to fund armies that I was building at the time. These are some of the eBay pictures from when I sold them. So, if nothing else this article can be a chance to look at these classic Oldhammer miniatures.  As this was a nineties army, mostly plain green bases  and plenty of gloss varnish were the order of the day!

Slann Warband

Alternates for Army

  • Bull Slann Cold One Riders - Cold ones are not a problem with some very nice models from ranges such as the Ex-Grenadier ones by Mark Copplestone.
  • Venom Tribes & Scouts - I am thinking I might use some Chameleon skinks from Citadel and I have found nice alternates on Etsy. And sort of fits my thinking in that Slann models fill the primary frontline roles and the non-Slann models are the auxiliaries. 
  • Animal Handers  - Wargames Atlantic do some very nice giant spiders and giant scorpion models are available.  Cold one war hounds could be replaced with dinosaurs?
  • Lobotomised Humans - Plenty of plastic human models that could be converted.
  • Lizardmen - Plenty of Citadel and non-Citadel models available.
  • Troglodytes - Plenty of Citadel and non-Citadel models available.

Bull Slann riders 

Animal Hander

Rob

2 comments:

  1. Interesting project and resolution for the new year! We like to mix miniatures from different manufacturers and look forward to seeing how your army shapes up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might be just me, but Citidel never seamed to really focus too much on the Slann, which was a shame cause.. well, I remember the very classic huge diarama with the Slann throne and all the stuff around it.. very nice...

    also.. I think if you call the Dinosaur a dragon you can totally get away with a Slann Mage on a big dinosaur. might be wrong as version 3 isn't my field and i'm rusty anyway..

    ReplyDelete

Game 5 - The Wizard and the Burglar

Gandalf Stuck In the Corner Another scenario that GW seems to have written in special rules order to make it completely unplayable. Once aga...