Sunday, August 7, 2022

New Scenery Board

 The backdrop 

After reading an interesting feature on Jays Wargaming Madness for Minas Tirith scenery which included a link to an excellent You Tube channel Zorpazorp (A guy who builds massive scenery. Its mainly LotR and Wh40K but there is some inspiring stuff). I decided it was time to build the alternative scenery backdrop for my stuff which I have been thinking about for some time.  

I wanted a cityscape as an alternative to my usual countryside backdrop. One of the key lessons from the first backdrop (Countryside Scenery Board) was that it has too much scenery. Which means its difficult to put anything more than a small warband. So the new one will be much flatter. 

On to the Build

I have been having difficulty finding pink polystyrene recently for board building. So I decided to try removing one of the card layers from some spare foam card. It was surprisingly easy.  After that it was a very pleasant afternoon in the garden marking out the board with an old ball point pen. 

The stone work on the raised areas took ages but I pleased with the final result. The roadways were much quicker with the regular design. I hadn't planned to add a raised area  to the centre of the crossroads. But I realised it would make a good focal point which could be given a choice items such as signposts, gibbet or a well etc. Once built a textured the board with a rolled up ball of tinfoil. 

Finally it was stuck to base board with hot melt glue. I was bit concerned but the foam card boards were a bit warped. But they seemed to stick aright. Then a libel coat of PVA glue was applied. 

The first test stone work.

Later

Much later.

Much, much later... it was starting to take shape. 

The fourth section is deliberately free of stone work as I plan to paint it as an area of waste ground. To give  bit more variety to the board. 

Thankfully the roads were much quicker. 

Stuck to the base board and ready for the PVA glue. 


In the Sunshine

While out and about at the weekend, I spotted this dark Green Fritillary Butterfly, which looks a bit worse for wear. But this is quite an unusual butterfly, so I thought it was worth a photo. 

A rather knackered looking Dark Green Fritillary. 

Rob 

2 comments:

  1. Looking cool so far! I'd love to see the final result :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love how your city crossroad is coming up, especially how you've chosen to give each area of ​​the terrain a different feature. Are you planning to put some building there too?
    We can already imagine warbands of men, orcs, goblins and mutants slaughtering each other in these streets when everyone stops to look spellbound at the rare butterfly that passes over their heads: a moment of poetry in the grim world of Warhammer ...

    ReplyDelete

Game 5 - The Wizard and the Burglar

Gandalf Stuck In the Corner Another scenario that GW seems to have written in special rules order to make it completely unplayable. Once aga...