Monday, January 24, 2022

Mr P's Witches

 Time for Some Equal Rites

I have been a long time fan of Terry Patchett  since I first read the Colour of Magic back in the 80s. In particular I have always liked the Witches, Granny and Nanny. But I have never read all of  Terry's Witches books or in the correct order. So this year is time to correct this serious failing.

You haven't read all of the Witches novels?

A number of helpful people have already sorted out the order  of Mr P.'s witches books. With six books listed in order below.  

Published 1987

Published 1988

Published 1991

Published 1992

Published 1995

Published 1998

I believe all of the covers were painted by Josh Kirby. 

On to the Figures

This reading has inspired a little side project. I had always planned to add a little coven of witches with scenery to the Fae but moved onto the next project(s) before getting round to it. 

But reading Mr. P witches has reminded me to get my own set of Witches and I have started trawling around the internet looking for some suitable figures. There were some official figures at one stage but I remember the costs were quite high. I also half remember a number of figures I quite liked but can't find at the moment. 

Anyway my first finds were a very nice range of witches from Midlam Miniatures  and the first  potential candidates for Granny & Nanny.  Because witches always come in threes, Granny & Nanny will also need a junior witch to boss about.  I already have a cat familiar from Reaper who can be used as Greebo. 

Pictures from Midlam's website



Rob 

5 comments:

  1. Let's admit we know Terry Pratchett's name but haven't read anything yet. Your project, nice both in terms of reading and in terms of miniatures, could prompt us to start reading something written by him. Any suggestions for a start? Let's wait to see the witches appear in full lead (or resin)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just posted, my top Terry Pratchett choices.

      Delete
  2. Oh, fabulous! I've read Wyrd Sisters, but I really ought to read the rest. Discoworld generally is great fun, and Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat are some fantastic characters. Death is great fun too. Not only are your miniatures lovely, but you've doubled my reading list at one shot! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice of figures. I have the Microarts Nanny and Granny but they're far too tall to fit neatly in with anything else... the stature of their auras coming into play I guess! Anyhow I always preferred Kirby's covers to Kidby's. Paul's may be more 'accurate' to the text but Josh's capture the madcap flavour of a Pratchett novel perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing some other figures from a different manufacturer which also reminded me of Granny and Nanny but can't remember which one! I will keep looking.

      Delete

Game 5 - The Wizard and the Burglar

Gandalf Stuck In the Corner Another scenario that GW seems to have written in special rules order to make it completely unplayable. Once aga...