Sunday, September 13, 2026

Rhino Clan Hunt

Back in the Holocene


It feels like the right time to play a few games on the wargames  table. After some reading, I have decided to return to Paleo-Hunt (again), with the possibility of adding a little Hide, Bone & Stone if needed.

As my last game was a couple of years ago, I thought it best to start again with the basic rules.


‘Despite the wintery chill, Grog smiled as he looked out across the frozen landscape. The little gods of stream and stone had guided him to the bloodstones on the first day of the new hunt. Surely this was a great omen, and it had led him in turn to the lone woolly rhinoceros.’

This marks a change of pace, as I begin a new mini project and return to Paleo-Hunt: Eat or Be Eaten. Over the last couple of years, I have quietly added a few miniatures to this collection, and I have not quite given up on the idea of getting a few games played. The plan is to use existing figures where possible, draw on the pile of opportunity where needed, and keep new purchases to a minimum.

Since it has been a while, I returned to the starter scenario, Vanilla Skies, in which four hunters take on a lone woolly rhinoceros.

I split the hunters into two teams: one moved south, while the other circled north around the rhinoceros.

When Agg finally drew close enough to charge, he badly mistimed his spear thrust and was battered aside for his trouble. His brother Igg followed up with a successful blow, but he too was punished by the now enraged rhinoceros.


With two hunters wounded, Grog could delay no longer and charged in to support them. Proving his worth as leader of the band, he struck true, and the rhinoceros fled north with the hunters in pursuit.


Igg proved the swiftest of the hunters, catching the rhinoceros before it could escape and landing the killing blow.


After the hunt, both Agg and Igg recovered from their wounds and were ready for the next hunt. The hunt trophy went to Igg, who gained the Alert trait.


‘Grog sat silently, staring across the campfire. The little gods had deserted him today, and Igg would now be the first to place a hunter’s mark upon the bloodstones and wear the rhino-hide cloak. Yet Grog could not go against the gods, even if he suspected the old crone had favoured her grandson.’

To the victor the spoils - Igg with his new cloak. 

Some future prey, a predator and the trophy stones - 'The Bloodstones'

Once I have painted up the trophy stones, I plan to add to it as the campaign develops. 

Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment