Friday, March 15, 2024

Escape from Goblin Town

Beware of Channel Hopping

This was a bit of an impulse buy after switching over channels to see the Company of Thorin escape from from the goblins of the Misty mountains.  And suddenly this is the next big project. After the scouring of eBay, I finally settled on a second hand copy, where most of the minis have been put together and undercoated. A few have been painted but they will all get a repaint. 

 Pluses & Minuses

The seller was upfront that the set may not be complete and the photos weren’t great but I was pretty confident Thorin (& the company)  and the goblins where all included. And on those points I was right. But unfortunately Radagast was missing but on the other hand I did gain Bolg, a metal Haradrim captain, a few LotR minis and bit of a dragon I can’t yet identify. 


All suggestions welcome on the make of the mini above and any ideas on what I could do with it!




Long time readers of my blog will have followed my ups and downs as I painted the company of Thorin. But after all that work they have never made their way onto the gaming table, a problem which will hopefully be resolved soon. 



The goblins have been undercoated black which seems an odd choice for a mini that is predominately a very pale off-white. I plan to try using the purple shadow technique I used on some my zombies from last year to give them that suitably diseased look.

Friday Night Beer

I am trying something a bit different (for me) tonight which is the unfiltered Stella Artois which I am quite enjoying. It seems to have a better flavour but could just be the third bottle talking 😊.

Rob 

4 comments:

  1. I do love that box set - I had maybe three or even four of them at one point!
    If I'm not mistaken, the dragon in question is Smaug from the Battle of the Five Armies – a very short foray by GW into 6mm LotR miniatures. I have never had him in my hands and can's quite gauge how big he is. He seems to missing a wing and the head, but I if you could replace them somehow, he might make a cool stand in for an eagle for your Wood Elves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we remember your company of Thorin well! An exciting new project, and the best part is that it's an unexpected surprise: we look forward to seeing its developments soon.
    As for the dragon miniature, here is a terrible new creature: the headless one-winged dragon! Jokes aside, in our opinion it would be difficult to complete it with bits from other miniatures, especially since you have to find a compatible wing... Perhaps you could try transforming it into a scenic piece of terrain: the ruined and fallen statue of a dragon - sculpted by the dwarves to commemorate their fights against these giant lizards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a cool bunch of minis! I indeed believe the dragon is Smaug from the BOFA boxed set, but I reckon it's a little bit tricky to actually get something out of that incomplete set. I guess you'll have to look for some kitbashing or sculpting instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and for the ID on the dragon. I agree he is the 6mm Smaug. I may have a go at sculpting a wing but will need to find a dragon's head.

    ReplyDelete

Game 5 - The Wizard and the Burglar

Gandalf Stuck In the Corner Another scenario that GW seems to have written in special rules order to make it completely unplayable. Once aga...